Thursday, December 15, 2011

Job Search Post Layoff When Old Boss Revokes Recommendation?

Hi,





I recently lost my first post college job under unusual circumstances. Technically I got laid off according to the company, but the truth is that I was terminated for a lack of revenue generated by my position. I had done an internship there focusing on one area of study, but had excelled elsewhere due to previous entrepreneurial activity. They brought me back sometime later as a consultant in that area and I took the job knowing that I could drastically improve things, but that never happened. They ignored most of my advice with excuse after excuse before basically tying my hands and restricting me activities to the point where half way through my five months I realized that it would be mathematically possible for my employment to be worth my presence to the company.





By the time I got let go I had accomplished nothing other than compile a list of things they were doing wrong that they refused to do right. These were largely issues involving binary variables, but also included differences of opinion. When they let me go they said I had two weeks, but after voicing some of my concerns later that day I was sent home and told that I would be paid for the rest of the week and would be given a glowing recommendation.





Later that night I got quite drunk and published something online that made the company look rather stupid. When they discovered what I had published my former boss called me, told me that the ownership was furious, that he no longer wanted to be associated with me professionally because it would damage his reputation, and not to use him a reference in my job search.





I've been looking for other scenarios like this and I haven't found any. Technically I was a model employee whose failure was entirely the result of the company failing to follow good recommendations and I did leave on good terms, but was disaffiliated later.





I already knew that I would have to explain why I was "laid off" with a performance record far inferior that of my own personal ventures, but I'm not sure how address any question related to my eventual publication that was quite harsh on my former boss. According to most of my research its considered bad for an applicant to badmouth a former employer, but in my case anyone technically qualified would see that it was their fault.





Anyway has anyone else ever been in a situation like this?





As of now I'm sure how to proceed. I do have evidence of ongoing illegal activity at that company for which I think my silence might be worth a positive recommendation, I don't think that after opening my mouth they will trust me to keep it shut.|||One, you are an idiot. "According to most of my research its considered bad for an applicant to badmouth a former employer, but in my case anyone technically qualified would see that it was their fault." What rock have you been hiding under. There are some genuine horror stories out there. And you did this to your self. Any one technically qualified would see it as their fault! Good luck with that attitude.



Nobody cares if your old boss was a knuckle dragging idiot. They want to know about you. How you behave in good times and in adversity.



Keep your story simple, you were laid off because your numbers were not good enough. Write your job description in a positive light, a valiant effort that under better conditions might have succeeded If they ask you, and only if they ask you, admit to your biggest mistake, and what you learned from it.



You might consider apologizing to your old boss for your unprofessional behavior and how you will never blog while drunk again. You never know, I have had assholes who organized necktie parties give me glowing recommendations

No comments:

Post a Comment